Sunday 10 February 2013

Drive Motors for TankPi

TankPi is hopefully going to be a pretty hefty machine, and for this, I needed some pretty hefty motors. It turns out in amateur robotics competitions, many people use old cordless drill motors which have a lot of torque and speed, but can also be easily battery driven. I managed to get my hands on 2 old cordless drills, whose motors I extracted. That's one problem sorted :D


Next I needed to mount them onto TankPi's main chassis. This proved to be relatively easy as I had screws that fitted the motors, and the holes were perfect distance apart for mounting onto the mecanno chassis.






(They worked with the motor driver too after an hour of hunting for a 12v power unit.. with no luck so 15v had to do for a quick test. Luckily the motors are meant for 14.4v so they survived ;) )

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! If it's a query or question, I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. I hope this blog has helped or inspired you!