Sunday 10 February 2013

Wheels and Tracks

The idea is for TankPi to move about on tracks, and to do this, it needs to be held out by wheels. One wheel on each side will be directly joined to one of the motors (this is the current theory, they might need gearing. I have yet to decide...). Using only a 3 metre tape measure (the calipers are on order), I attempted to make a wheel which had a nine tooth gear hole in the centre in SolidWorks (wheel diameter of 50mm)

Once made, I exported it as a DXF and then sent it to the laser cutter to be cut out of acrylic. This worked extremely well considering each tooth was 1mm wide and the laser's accuracy is 0.2mm. The finished wheel prototype was fantastic and fitted on both motors. One a tight fit and one a loose fit so I may need to superglue later on...


And on the motor.


Result!

Jamie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! If it's a query or question, I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. I hope this blog has helped or inspired you!